October 03, 2011
I received these tips when I was a graduate student.
Eight Steps For Success In The Art World
1. Do good work.
2. Have a strong background- (There is competition within genres; am I timely?; who is this person?; who has written about him/her?)
3. Show signs of dedication and major commitment.
4. Hang out at key places (word of mouth business; information of the tribe passed around; critical opinion of a well respected artist; should know the names of every critic and artist; )
5. Behave professionally- (have something to say about your work; have slides and resume updated and handy.)
6. Seek help- (there are people out there willing to help you)
7. Be charming (but don’t overdo it)
8. Be realistic ( but not cynical or pessimistic)